Optimise natural light in buildings with 3M™ Daylight Redirection Film, a simple effective, daylighting solution
- Daylight Redirecting Film is a simple, effective daylighting solution which comfortably brings natural light deeper into buildings.
- Daylight Redirecting Film is designed to move excess light close to the window and redirect it deeper into the building to increase the daylighting penetration.
- Bringing natural light deeper into a building provides the many benfits of natural light for more occupants as well as reducing the need for artificial lighting.
- Reduces glare and discomfort caused by direct sunlight on occupants
- Redirects natural light as much as 40ft or more into the building
- Extends daylight zone up to 8ft into the interior for every 1ft of treated window
- Can provide up to 52% lighting energy savings compared to baseline usage
- Helps reduce dependence on electrical, artificial lighting
- Winner of Architectural Record "Record Products 2014" Facades Winner
Understanding 3M™ Daylight Redirection Film
Time Lapse of 3M™ Daylight Redirection Film Installation
Compared to existing light re-directing strategies, Daylight Redirecting Film is easily integrated into new or existing windows. It requires no extra hardware or infrastructure, and no additional maintenance or special cleaning. It works during daylight hours, even when the sun is at a low angle. It is also more cost effective than many existing daylighting solutions.
How it works
Daylight redirecting film is installaed in the upper portion of the window. Daylight is redirected upwards towards the ceiling allowing natural light to comfortably penetrate deeper into the building. Daylight redirection film is made of micro-structured prisms.
Many factors affect daylighting performance, such as building design, time of day and year, weather, location, and orientation.
3M™ Daylight Redirecting Film utilizes micro-replication to redirect incoming light. This sunlight that would have originally hit the floor a few feet from the window, now gets directed up onto the ceiling, helping to light the room as deep as 40 feet from the window.
The technology "micro-replication" refers to microscopic structures that are able to redirect as much as 80% of light up onto the ceiling, providing more natural light, which has been linked to increased productivity and purchasing behavior, and helping to reduce your dependence on electric lighting. Announcing 3M™ Daylight Redirecting Film as the winner of Architectural Record "Record Products 2014" Facades Winner.
Optimising natural light creates a better environment for any business.
Buildings with abundant natural light have been shown to:
- Increase employee productivity
- Improve student test scores
- Improve patient recovery times
- Boost retail sales
- Decrease rates of absenteeism
- Reduce energy costs
Solarshield are the 3M™UK Master Window Film Dealer. We are happy to answer any of your questions regarding films, the installation process or any specific concerns.